In a few weeks, the spring market will be upon us! We are expecting a hot real estate market in 2024 and buyers will be out looking early. If you are thinking of selling your home it is important to get your home ready before the traditional spring market begins in February. Your goal is to position your home on the market so that it compares favorably with the other homes selling in your area so that you can sell your home quickly while getting the best price.
It may be difficult for you to look at your home with a critical eye. As an experienced broker, I can help you with this. You may want to walk through some open houses in your neighborhood or look online to understand your competition. You may also want to get some help.
Hiring an experienced stager can easily pay for itself. They have great ideas on how to make your home look more appealing to prospective buyers. I can also help you decide what steps to take to maximize the marketability of your home. Your interior design should be cohesive, intentional, and well-edited from room to room. We can take photos and review them from the standpoint of a home buyer. It may take some work to both the exterior and interior to get the tasteful results you want, but it’s well worth it.
To make your home more marketable to homebuyers, consider the following:
- Declutter the entire house. This is the most important advice you will get. Remove family photos, oversized furniture, toys, and any items that make the inside of your home seem smaller. Clean out your closets of half their contents and donate old clothing you no longer wear.
- Conceal all wiring and cables in boxes, inside walls, and in crown mouldings, wainscotting, and shoe mouldings.
- Consider updated window coverings. Hang drapes from the ceiling for an elegant, elongated look.
- Touch up the paint. It is amazing what a simple coat of new paint can do to make your home look more appealing. But make sure to use neutral colors.
- Try to make your décor neutral in beige, white or grey. You can enhance interest by texture using rugs, fluffy bedding, colorful pillows, and upholstery.
- Update the electrical panel, increase the outlets, and upgrade switch plates.
- Have your carpets cleaned. You may even want to consider replacing carpets with hardwood floors, or affordable engineered wood.
- Fix any broken items. Broken hardware, switch plates, or light fixtures can be a turn-off. Details matter!